Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Better than Ezra

So I went to Copper this past Saturday with some friends. I don't think I would've gone boarding at all this weekend (it just feels like ski season is over) except that Better than Ezra was performing there. I'm a fan ... not a huge fan, but a fan nonetheless. I've seen them in concert once before when they played at Bon Fete in Baton Rouge. Anyway, they have some good stuff. Plus they're from New Orleans, so that's a plus. :-) Actually I read that the band was formed when the lead singer was at LSU. In any case, so yea, it was a pretty uneventful day. It started sleeting which kinda hurt when coming down the mountain, so we stopped early and waited for the concert. They started kinda late which was annoying because I wanted to get home in time for the LSU game (yea, yea, so the men and women lost in the Final 4 ... still, it was a good run).



So we probably listened to about half their set and headed out. They were pretty entertaining performers, interjecting random comments in their show to keep things interesting. At one point they were talking about after the show, and the lead singer mentioned that the only thing they had to do was to cheer on the LSU Tigers at which point I started cheering of course! :-) The only song of theirs that I wanted to hear that I didn't get to was "Desperately Wanting". As we were leaving, we stopped to hear a few more songs, and they mentioned this interesting story about how before their 3rd album, they were playing at Breckenridge at this "Classical Festival." He described it as "Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Better than Ezra, Brahms" and that someone must've goofed in the planning. hehe ... so anyway, he said that they had this great song, but couldn't come up with a good chorus for it. And that night, at Breckenridge, they came up with the chorus. So then they play the song, and it's "At the Stars" which is probably my favorite song by them! I thought that was really cool.



So we left after that thinking that there would be a lot of traffic. I wish we would've stayed because apparently John Martin was there, and he said it was a lot of fun towards the end. Plus traffic was non-existent so we made it back to Denver in no time. And then of course, I watched my Tigers get slaughtered by UCLA. :-(

Other than that, I'm really getting into Ultimate. I had some pretty good plays Sunday, and I'm feeling more confident in what I'm doing. I threw for my first point for the team, so that was exciting. We have a practice tomorrow which should be fun. It's fun just running around. It really makes me want to play football again! Anyway, once I get some cleats, it's on!

No comments: