Tuesday, November 28, 2006

How sad?

Okay, I haven't watched many Hindi movies in my life. Frankly, I used to think they were a joke. I've been more open to them these last few years and have seen some pretty good ones. I'm trying to watch more because I have wanted to learn Hindi these last couple of years, and many people have told me that watching Hindi movies is a good way to learn (since I already know Gujarati). Well, I've accumulated a lot of Hindi movies based on recommendations: Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Black, Dil Chahta Hai, Lagaan, Sholay ... and others. I haven't watched any of these yet, but I really plan to. I tried watching Veer-Zaara over Thanksgiving, but the DVD was scratched so it wouldn't play properly ... wonderful.

The sad thing is that I went to get my hair cut today, and this Russian lady was cutting my hair. We remembered each other from before (we always seem to have a good ole conversation). Well I mentioned that my parents were en route to India today and that I would be going next week. So she proceeds to tell me how she loves Indian movies! She said she was exposed to a lot of Indian movies in Russia (to which I was like, "Really?"). Apparently she saw a little snippet about this "really good looking actor" who had blue eyes so she went to the Indian grocery store and rented Mission Kashmir (apparently she was talking about Hrithik Roshan because she said his dad was a famous director, i.e. Rakesh Roshan). I remember watching part of that movie, but never finishing it because we were going somewhere (garba, I think). But yea, this lady also knew how Raj Kapoor used to be big. But isn't it sad that a Russian immigrant probably knows more about Indian cinema than me?

No comments: